Skip to main content

Atrocity in a Metro City

Published in the October 2013 issue of Fried Eye

“Punugulu,” she said and I considered it to be a joke. I asked her again the name of the food we were served for breakfast that day. And when my room-mate repeated the word, I realized she wasn’t kidding at all. I wasted no time to google up the word and find images of the food that looked exactly like what was on my plate. It’s been two weeks that I am in Hyderabad, yet I find it difficult to recognize the food I am served in my hostel. I was never a fan of South Indian cuisine and hence the ignorance.

“Hyderabadi Biryani” is the first couple of words that come to one’s mind when one thinks of Hyderabad. Well, I don’t know of the adjective “Hyderabadi” but I sure had the Biryani in three or more places here and I can say that the Biryani served in Guwahati was different, if not better.

These differ, everyone’s view points as well as everyone’s taste buds; and I, being a person who has a sweet tooth, have absolutely no palate for spicy food. People here, I have noticed, must be fond of spices. Of course, one cannot judge about the food by what they serve in hostels, but spice is the common thing I find in the food served in almost every meal.

But the best part is the curd they serve in each meal. Curd is sometimes used as a desert and sometimes as a curry or sauce here. But I love curd and I have no issues with its “over-usage”. Getting to eat nice Idlis, Dosas, Upma and Punugulus is an added advantage.

Of course all kinds of restaurants are available here for those who do not like to eat South Indian food, yet it is, at times, nice to have a variety of dishes to eat which you have never tasted before.
Ever heard of lemon rice? Well, it has nothing to do with the image that your mind must have formed, thinking of it as rice and chunks of lemon juice or something similar. It’s fried rice where lemon juice is sprinkled on it and is one of the popular dishes they serve.


But what difficulty a girl like me faces here is identifying the various curries one is served with.  So once, in my rush to office, I took out my tiffin box and began to take the things served for breakfast hurriedly. I usually ask my hostel-mates or the cooks about what is served, before considering them to be taken to office for lunch. Next I know is I somehow catch the bus that was already leaving. Finally being able to grab a seat for myself in the bus, I ruminated over the stuffs that I put in my lunchbox. They were, to my utter disappointment, plain rice which I thought was lemon rice, Upma which I thought was mashed potatoes to have with the imaginary lemon rice, and Ground nut paste which I had no idea how to put into use with the weird combination of dishes I took. No doubt I had to buy my lunch that day in the office cafeteria. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Blog Award I and II

So I just found it out today that  Geeta Nair  ( http://geetaavij.wordpress.com ) nominated me for  THE LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD  (liebster meaning “favourite” in German, which reminds me of the first German sentence I learnt - ich liebe dich :-D ) last year.  Also on the same month of November 2013, I was nominated for this award by  Bhavya Kaushik  ( http://bhavyakaushik.com / ) too.  I understand that I am too late in honouring the two nominations of the Liebster Award  but I am a big  fan of the saying – “ better late than never” , so I am going to accept it anyway. Rules of receiving the award : • To accept the award one must link back to the person who nominated him/ her. • Nominate 10 more bloggers who you feel are deserving of more subscribers. • Answer all questions posted by the nominator. • Create 10 questions for the nominees. • Contact the 10 nominees and inform them that they have been nominated for this prestigious award. I further nom

Tears of blood

[ The poem is written as a tribute and encouragement to the unfortunate rape victims of the society who are fighting every day to live with dignity.  This poem is published in  Read In Park ] Never had known pain, As I do now… Never knew what grief is, But I do now… When the morning sun knocks on my window, I weep silently recalling that loathsome night, When the rays fall on my wet pillow, I wail in self pity ending another sleepless night. Every morning I look into the mirror To see the detested face, Robbed, touched, raped, I now loathe my every single trace. I had begged for help, Had cried for mercy, But no one took a single step, That night to rescue me     They jeered at my pain, Laughed at my plight, “Men” they called themselves Those beasts of that night The fear that arouse in me, I fear it may bring my death Growing day by day, It questions my each breath The bruises on my face will heal, But the trauma ev

"Are You a Lesbian?"

“Are you a lesbian?” A friend of mine once asked me mockingly when we were discussing about my aversion from some (“some” not “all”) kind of men. “No. But does it matter?” I asked her scornfully. No, I wasn’t bothered that I was asked a question about my sexuality. But what I didn’t understand was that is being a lesbian a matter to be jeered about? What if I was one? Wouldn’t I be hurt and embarrassed that my sexuality was just mocked at? Why are the words “gay” or “lesbian” used as slangs? Another incident, that took place a couple of years back, was when I was teasing two girl friends of mine, accusing them of having an affair. I considered it as normal as teasing a guy and a girl. One of them found it so disrespectful that she, instead of simply denying the fact, chided that she isn’t of such “third class” standard. I later discussed the small argument that we had, with her, trying to make my point that being a lesbian or a transgender doesn’t define anyone’s cla